Sunday, August 10, 2008

A Day In The Life Of A Quasi-Single Mom

Quasi-Single Mom- A Mom who pretty much single parents even though I have a husband. He's just never home. It's OK sometimes, because the house runs like I want it to run, with very few interuptions, but it gets lonely.

Today was a normal day. The older two were up by 7:00 AM. They don't even bother us in the mornings now. They just get up, go downstairs and watch Disney. Adeline, the oldest of the three, usually gets the drinks (she's quite skilled at pouring and correctly assembling sippy cups). I did yell this morning, because the TV was too loud, but other than that, it was good. Avery didn't start hollering until 8:00, so I actually got to sleep in (pathetic what passes for sleeping in when there are kids in the house). She hasn't started walking yet, or attempting to climb out of the crib, but it's only a matter of time. If the pattern holds true, I'll have her in a bed by the time shes a year and a half.

At some point around 9:30, Frank got up and went to work.

Around 10:30, Avery was ready for a nap. This meant the older two could go swimming. The swim was cut short though when they decided to throw rocks into my pool. They were promptly pulled from the pool and told to stay outside until they were dried off. Apparently, my sprinkler system is screwed up, because they came inside 45 minutes later and covered with grass and dirt from the sprinklers. Where was I this whole time? Hiding in my room, attempting to nap. Hey, we have fences, they're fine out back alone.

At 2:00, we made the weekly run to Walmart. I have to say, Walmart is evil. I really don't like it, but it's too cheap to bypass. Avery is still on formula, even though she's over a year, because of skin issues. This means that I'm still running to the store every two weeks or so to stockpile soy formula.

When we got home, Avery turned into evil child, and attacked her sisters over and over again. Anaya was the main target, since Adeline usually has the piece of mind to get up and out of reach. Avery likes to pull hair. Today was lots of hair pulling and head smacking, all the while yelling "Stop!" as she pulled. I used to think that Anaya was the devil incarnate, but Avery may be taking that title.

The final reprieve came at 8:00, when they finally went to bed. I settled on the couch to watch TV, capping off a pretty normal day in my life. It's after 11:00, and my husband still isn't home. I single parented all day.

No comments: