Friday, October 24, 2008

Some of My Favorite Things

Yesterday I came across a box of stuff that I haven't opened in probably 7 years. This is because between 1999 and 2003, I moved 5 times, including cross country. This box in particular was from my Mom's house, and was actually full of stuff from high school. It just got put inside another box during one of the moves and somehow wound up under the bathroom sinks. It was opened up today in a futile search for nail polish remover. Amidst the detritus of half filled notebooks (math notes mostly, some Latin for some reason in the same notebook), random notes from friends, a pair of wool socks, and a glove, there was a tub of Carmex and a few sticks of blue gum. Back in high school, I always had Carmex and sugarless gum in my pocket. I preferred Alpine Mint, but any blue gum would do. My particular flavor is gone, so I've switched to Extra peppermint, but it's really not the same. The gum was totally stale, and unchewable, but the Carmex was still good. In fact, after I loaded up on the Carmex, I kissed my husband, and he made the immediate connection to senior year.

No comments: